Friday, July 11, 2008


Joyriders - Road Cycling Group
I've been a guest rider with them on Wednesdays for about a month already. Last week I finally decided to join them 'officially'. It's the jersey. I think it's real spiffy and ordered mine - can't wait to get it. Now I have to think of a nickname for myself though. All Joyriders have a funny nickname.....like Snail Queen Joyce (the founder), Rock n Roll King Joshua (riding buddy who introduced me to the group) etc.
Anyway, this group is also known as the 5am Longhouse riders. Every day, except Mondays, there's a ride that leaves from there. That works for me because my Tuesday rides have been inconsistent. Things pop up, bad weather etc. Also, I want to improve. So this was supposed to be my 'secret training' to get faster and stronger so I don't get dropped on Tuesdays. Well, I get 'super dropped' with this hard-core bunch. Many cycle every day and for much longer distances.
But now I discover that I rather like early morning cycling and realize I've been missing out. The absolute best time to cycle in Singapore is 5am. It's cool, peaceful and hardly any traffic. The route is always the same but there's a certain comfort in predictability. It's a big group with varying speeds but everyone usually regroups at junction of Mandai and Woodlands Road. The 70+km bunch turn right to head towards Kranji, the 50+km turn left to head up Clementi....and a few of us 30+km turn left again at Dunearn Road.
Best part is coming back at about 6am and knowing I've had my workout for the day. Still buzzing from the endorphin rush and sitting on my bench to rehydrate, it feels great. The early morning calm is very good for praying and my head feels very clear. Of course, I also pray a lot because more often than not I'm riding by myself because the group is so fast. But there's no fear. It's very scenic going up Upper Thomson Road and Mandai. Those grand trees, the reservoir, the jungle.....makes me grateful for what a beautiful earth we live in.
In the meantime, I need to build muscle so I can stay with the pack. Right now, I get dropped on the incline just before we hit Mandai. Got to work on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I was looking for triathlon training stuff and stumbled upon your blog; do you think you could tell me how/where I can start training for one? My email's misswongccps@gmail.com. Thanks!