Sunday, July 15, 2007

1st Sea Swim Training
This morning I skipped church (gasp!) to attend the 1st of 3 sea swim training sessions. We met in East Coast Park near Carpark F2. Nice sunny and windy day. Medium tide coming from south. Lots of junk in the water. Plastic bags. Sea weeds. Durian husk. Packet drinks. Pretty yucky. The tide was shifting so the current was all over the place. David (aka Yellowwfish), our Triladies swim coach, set up 4 floating buoys as our course. We did triangles and squares about 50m.
Decided to swim breaststroke as am most comfortable with it. It was choppy. Several times when I came up for air, I also gulped down some frothy East Coast water as well. As forewarned by David, we should just swallow it as trying to spit it out might cause us to choke. Later I realized it's easier to swim free-style. Easier to cut through the swell and less water injested. After about 11/2 hrs of zig-zagging these floating buoys, I really don't want to think about how much un-necessary sodium I've injested. The other awful thing about East Coast is the oil. Don't really see it nor feel it...but it's there. The evidence - bits of it on our feet. Perhaps when we're standing in the shallows. Last bit - there was quite a blob I stepped into. The way to get it out is to rub sand - need the friction to get the slick off.
All the way driving home, I kept thinking about whether I'd get the runs from this pollution I've drunk.

No comments: