Monday, August 06, 2007

Base Phase over....
I'm following a training plan. I just completed the first 5 weeks of Base building. The objective being to build a strong aerobic base. Just get my body used to a progressive increase in volume of exercise. Not strenous - but easy and long yet able to hold a conversation....sort of. I have been swimming, biking and running 6 out of 7 days. I topped if off with a 1hr 15min run last Saturday from my home to Botanics and back. May have overdone it a little. Have a blister on my fourth toe. Crap.

Now I'm to move on to 4 wks of Build Phase. This will involve interval training - spurts of faster pace to push the body a bit more and hopefully increase my speed. I'm currently taking 5 minutes to swim a set of 200m, biking at an average speed of 26km/hr and running at a real easy pace of 6km/hr. It's very average and the cows will all go home if I don't improve. So I need to move from aerobic to anaerobic training.

I also will need to do 'brick' sessions. Training my muscles to switch from swimming to running....or running to biking. I'm entering this phase with a little trepidation because it's definitely more physically demanding. I'm going to be so pooped out. As it is, I have had to take short power naps a few hours after my exercise these past weeks because I was just feeling zonked out. Cannot operate. Especially when I need to drive.

There will be 2 wks of Peak Phase and 1 wk of Taper and then.......the real thing on 23 Sept.

No comments: