Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Swim Lessons
Today was the third morning in the last 6 days that I'm up and in the pool by 7am! Doing laps....getting private lessons on correcting my front-crawl technique. Never even imagined I'd be doing this. Well, the discovery of the week is that the club pool water is actually warm. I always thought swimming in the early hours of the morning was torture because the water would be cold. Not at all.
At the first lesson, I was told I'm very 'buoyant' and that my arms look 'small'. That's putting it diplomatically. What he meant to say was that I have a big floating bum and puny, weak arms. Such were the obstacles to my quest for front-crawl skill and speed. He did compliment my breast-stroke by saying I had some 'potential'. Anyway, I worked hard.
At the end of my second lesson today, I graduated from the swim board. My technique is almost there. Just have to find a comfortable rhythm. For the first time in my life, I actually swam a few laps of front-crawl halfway decently. My goal is to be able to join the club Masters' swim training on Tuesdays. Put that together with the Triladies swim training on the weekend....and maybe a 3rd session by myself. That should build up my swim fitness. Hope to do my 750m swim in 15 minutes.....or less.

No comments: