Tuesday, October 16, 2007


Shopping for 1 Bike....ended up with 2!
Way back in August, I promised to get my Number One Son a bicycle for his birthday. Since then, I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the Togoparts classifieds every few days for a good second hand deal. I also visited all the local bike shops within 5 km radius of home. This was all thoroughly enjoyable of course. The thing is - need to spend $500 for a brand new entry-level hardtail mountain bike. But this means the frame is kind of heavy and the components 'so-so'. So the value deals are used bikes - especially the ones where the owners are bike enthusiasts that upgraded their components and place a premium on maintenance.
Well, it's been 2 months and now that his exams are over, I had to make a decision. Yesterday I took him to
Treknology3 Bikes at Holland Grove....and we ended up getting 2 bikes instead of 1! Sigh. I couldn't resist. Impulse buying is the worst. But it was such a good deal....
We test rode a few bikes and chose the Marin Pioneer Trail for him. Got it fixed up with bottle cage, lights, stand, helmet etc. That was $535 plus plus plus for the accessories. The components are basic Shimano Altus parts but at least the maroon red looks nice.
The good deal is the bike above - a Trek 3700. The great second hand deal I couldn't resist. The previous owner had to return it to Trek just after two weeks because she had to leave suddenly. So we got $110 knocked off the new retail price.
Yay!

No comments: