Friday, March 28, 2008

Swimming
I have to find a more suitable time to swim. This week, I chose to swim after BSF meetings but that's mid-day. Although it was cloudy (even drizzling) on Monday, those UV rays still got me and I was darker. So I have to avoid swimming from 11am to 4pm. That's going to be a challenge but I'll have to figure it out.
I warmed up with 10 laps of breaststroke. Took 13 instead of 14 minutes today.

Then I put on my 'zoomers' (short fins) and worked on the drills. Laps 11 & 12 were KOS (kick-on-side) drill. I always get water up on my nose when I breathe on my left. Laps 13 & 14 were Catch-up Drill. I quite like this. Helps me work on having longer swim body. Work on pull & rotation. Laps 15 & 16 were Catch-up Drill with Thumb Scrape. Make sure the thumb scrapes the thigh to make sure I finish each stroke properly. Laps 17 & 18 were Single-Arm Drill. Isolating the stroke for each arm so it's correct. The straight arm starts to ache though. Laps 19 & 20 were the Fist Drill. To focus on using forearms for the pull. Laps 21 & 22 were back to Catch-up Drill (yes I kinda like this) but breathing bi-laterally. I discovered that I get more oxygen this way so it's good. I must perfect this bi-lateral breathing.

Next 8 laps (23 to 30) were interval training. Back to breaststroke. A continuous flow of moderate 25m followed by 25m sprint. To improve my swim fitness and teach my body to recover quickly. Felt good today. Not so breathless. Aim to increase this to 10 laps next week.

Final 4 laps was warming down. Moderate breaststroke. Total 34 laps today. Total time 53 minutes.

No comments: