Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Training Reflections
I'm still not sure how I'm going to do the Olympic Distance instead of Sprint this May. I have 8 weeks left. I didn't sign up for any group training this time. Decided not to eat into family time in the evenings and weekends like last year. So, I try to train in the mornings.
However, I did sign up for Tribob's Bintan Training Camp in about 16 days. Early Saturday till late Sunday. It'll be a 60km cycle on Saturday straight off the boat. Then on Sunday a 'at your own pace' OD. The comforting thought is that there'll be a support vehicle. I suppose I'll have more confidence when that camp is over. At least I will be familiar with the course and be able to complete it. Only thing is to work on my timing.
The swim. 1.5km in open sea. That's 30 laps in the pool. Quite happy with my 32 laps this past Monday. It was 10 laps breast stroke warm-up, 10 laps of drills, 6 laps of 'speed-play' and 6 laps of warm-down. Combination of 25m breast stroke, then 25m of freestyle.
Of the 3 sports, been cycling the most. Tuesdays on road bike. Wednesdays on mountain bike. The first to get a feel for the distance of 40km. The second to maintain & hopefully improve my stamina. Interval training at Gangsa loop and Bukit Timah hill.
The jungle was just beautiful today. It's been raining the past few days so the track had puddles. The rain changed the terrain a little. Uncovered potholes and swept in soil. The air was so fresh though. It was mid-morning but felt like dawn. Riding thru the trails always gives me joy. I burst out in praise of the Almighty God for His creativity & beauty in nature.
My weakess area is the run. I have not been running at all. How am I going to run 10km after all that swimming and cycling? I really need to run more consistently. The plan is to do at least 20 minutes interval training of running at least 3 times a week.

No comments: