Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Reflecting on My Tri Journey
Today is 10th June. Last year on 12th June I blogged about how I had signed up to do the Triladies Sprint distance. So it's been a year. I realize that I've come quite a way. One Sprint attempt in Sept (Triladies was rained out after bike leg), a successfully completed Sprint in Nov and an enjoyable Olympic Distance in May. I can now swim freestyle comfortably although still use breaststroke for the race. I still love my Cannondale but am now also a proud owner of a gorgeous titanium frame named Bella.
Along the way, I bought a bicycle for each member of my family. We don't cycle as a family unit as often as I'd like but it is an additional family activity that we all enjoy when we do get round to it. For myself, I discovered a fascination with foldable bikes and am a proud owner of the unique Strida and the dependable Dahon. The Dahon is well travelled. Tim used it in Bintan and we brought it along to Tioman as well.
I also picked up trail riding this year using both Luke & Elliott's mountain bikes. I have become well acquainted with both Gangsa Loop and Bukit Timah Hill trail. I wore out Elliott's brake pads and had some spectacular falls into ditches. My battle scars were a blue-black butt and multiple grazes but smiling all the way. Obsessed with owning a Titanium bike, I succumbed to a 16" Dean Scout to call my own. It's so light but I know the frame is actually a little too big for me. Fine for road riding around the estate but not perfect for me to go trail riding. It can be done but it's not ideal. Elliott's bike is a 17" so it should be better than that.
Finally, without really trying very hard, I got my husband Tim sucked into all this too. He signed himself up for the Singapore Sprint Series earlier this year. He clocked some respectable times for the Biathlon in Sentosa and the Duathlon in Mandai. This coming Sunday (yes, Father's Day!) he will be doing his first Sprint distance.
So much can happen in a year!

No comments: