Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Spiritual Direction
Sharing some stuff I picked up on this discipline. Basically, it is the intention and attention to listen to God. To give my first ear to the Holy Spirit, my second ear to what my heart is telling me and my third ear to the speaker/preacher. It's different, although has similarities, to discipling, mentoring and pastoral counselling. There are differences in the roles of the helper and goals of the learner in those.
The main process of Spiritual Direction is through noticing and paying attention. The key element is silence. The other key difference is that there is no 'advice' given by the 2-3 other people in the group. It's about taking a very intentional step out of the busy-ness of every day life, being silent for a period of time so that I can listen with my first ear to what the Holy Spirit is saying to me. The others may respond to what I shared by asking questions that will help me clarify what I heard or affirming it, by sharing what the Holy Spirit told them.
I was blessed. The hour of silence, to my utmost surprise, flew by very quickly. The two people in my group affirmed & encouraged me in what I inwardly already knew. The verse that appeared through one of them was Ezekiel 36:26
Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you, and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
It's too long a story but basically, that is a very special verse for me. It was just what I needed to hear, to be reminded of, to be encouraged by, to give me the strength and faith to strain forward.....to "press on".

No comments: