Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Bashing!
Last two Sundays was spent bashing through the jungles of Bukit Timah Hill nature reserve. Have to say - that is a very happening jungle. There's such a diversity of terrain there. My fave was the 'Rock Path'. It's almost vertical and it's so fun hauling one's butt up those big rocks. I felt so....Angeline Jolieish. Especially with my brand new waterproof Columbia hiking boots. I was thrashing through the little river path part with no fear of getting soggy socks. I'm depending on them to keep out those awful, yucky leeches that I've heard so much about in Mt Ophir.
Tim, my slave driver, was following Commander Philip's instructions to the letter. He loaded my backpack with a minimum of 8kg! This was achieved rather uncreatively by putting four 1.5 litre bottles of water in there. I thought my neck was going to drop off. It felt like someone kept pulling me backwards.
We bashed around the jungle from 3pm till 6pm. Amazing thing....it was really cool with all that dense foliage above us. Can't say I saw very much though. You see....have to keep looking at the ground. So I see the tips of my boots and the area in front of it...to get the right footing. There are tree roots and rocks, uneven ground all the time.
Looking forward to go shop for a hiking backpack next. Then a five man tent. Sleeping bag. Goretex rain coat. Maybe a parang. Heeheehee.

1 comment:

auntymich said...

wow i'm totally impressed (but not anxious to do the same)