Friday, March 17, 2006

Anne Rice
She's written 26 novels. Two I recognise because they were made into movies - Interview with a Vampire & The Mummy. The long list all have pretty morbid titles and I'm guessing shows her past obsession with the dark side of things. Titles like: The Queen of the Damned, Memnock the Devil, The Tale of the Body Thief, Blood Canticle etc. There are about 5 books alone about vampires: The Vampire Lestat, The Vampire Armand etc.
I remember reading in a newspaper article that she has been transformed. Her latest book is titled Christ the Lord: Out of Eqypt. Excellent read. Took me two days to speed read it. I was gripped. The other reason why I had to read it quickly is because I intend to give it to my dad as his birthday present tomorrow!
Time for a quick confession. I wanted this book. But it cost about $60 because it's hot off the press and available only in hardcover. So being the creative economist that I am, I got it as a present. Couldn't resist reading it first. Also I know once my dad is done reading it, it'll likely get passed to my step-mother, then my brother and last my sister-in-law. Hopefully after that, it'll come back to me so I can lend it to all my friends. Ha!
Back to the book. It's a novel about Jesus as a seven yr old boy. It's very interesting angle because it is written in the first person. His family move from Egypt back to Nazareth. He's fully human and yet has some bizarre experiences with supernatural power. The story unfolds as he discovers the circumstances surrounding his birth - the angels, the shepherds, the magi........and sadly, the massacre of all children under 2 yrs old in Bethlehem because of Herod's rage. Rice is known for her historical accuracy in her background settings. I liked this book because it brought to life to a 'Christmas' story that became jaded years ago. It has given me an insight into what it meant to be a Jew...their customs, their practices, their way of life. It so inspired me that I had to pick up my New Testament and re-read the first few chapters of Matthew and Luke. It has added texture to my understanding of the gospels.
My favourite part is actually the Author's Note at the back of the book. It is Anne Rice's testimony. She shares how her historical research led her to the undeniable truth to who Jesus is. It transformed her. Talk about moving from dark to light. Horror movie novels about vampires to Jesus Christ - Light of the World. I think it's wonderful. Imagine her fanbase who will read this book because they like her writing - maybe they will see the light too.

No comments: