Friday, March 31, 2006

What's really going on inside of us....
I am reminded again that nobody really knows what's going on deep inside us. I had the privelege this morning of listening to a few people share a little of what's going on deep...really deep in their hearts. As they were sharing, each was invariably led to moments of such intensity that tears started flowing. I could almost feel the agony....the longing, the pain, the struggle. There were some details although it wasn't necessary.

But then I see these people on a regular basis. We chat. We laugh. We smile. We joke. We share. But beneath all that...all this time there were obviously a lot of other things going on in their lives. Things that are kept hidden from the public. Things that matter a lot to them. After all, we live in a fallen world. Problems are everywhere. There's simply no escape but life has to go on. And so we do. We carry on with the myriad of activities. We are incredibly busy most of the time. Is this a facade we are living then? Who is the real you and me?

I want to kick myself for being so caught up with myself. I didn't take the time to be a real friend. My friend is going through a tough time. Outwardly, things are fine. But deep down, where it really matters, there is pain. And so I resolve to make the time and to take the effort to be a friend. Not just a 'good time' friend but one who can be counted on for the sad or bad times.

No comments: